Tuesday 27 April 2010

Body Modification


Body modification is something that can be used in different ways. Sometimes it is for traditional reasons, sometimes for aesthetics, sometimes for sexual reasons, sometimes because of low self esteem, there are lots of reasons why people modify their bodies.
I have a nose piercing, my ears pierced, but no tattoos, as I know I would change my mind and get bored of the design after a while.
A few years ago, I was offered a breast replacement operation on the N.H.S which I turned down. I was offered it because I had 3 operations (now 5) for removal of breast lumps. The consultant offered it because "my breasts were now not the same size" Very few peoples bodies are equal on both sides. There was not, and still isn't, after more lump removing operations since, even a cup size difference between my breasts. (Some people may be thinking too much information at this point, so apologies)
At the time, and since then, I have thought that too much pressure and an automatic assumption is put on people to want the perfect body. Some people can resist the pressure and be happy with themselves, but some people can't, Jocelyn Wildenstein and Alicia Douvall are good examples. http://showbiz.sky.com/alicia-lucky-to-be-alive
I think that body modification is an important creative and personal right but it should be something that isn't associated with self esteem. I also believe some plastic surgeons could be accused of taking advantage of people and as professionals, they should have a duty of care and reponsibilty to those people who are either addicted to it or those who could increase their self esteem in ways other than and more appropriately than they could with surgery. They should recognise this and not encourage it as is the case at the moment with most cosmetic sugery groups. There is a difference between surgery to rebuild self esteem after an accident, severe burns, that type of thing, and surgery when your body was perfectly o.k to start with and the specific aim is to "feel better." As this quote from Transform plastic surgery groups website shows, they exploit the link between surgery and esteem, and even show this link being passed on to other people:
"I went from a 34B to 32FF/G. The operation has made
such a big difference to my life. I’m much more confident
and love shopping for new fashionable clothes. I wish I’d
had the op earlier!
I was so pleased with the results that my two daughters
have gone on to have breast enlargement operations
with Transform too. I’ve also recommended quite a few of
my close friends." http://www.transforminglives.co.uk/PDF/TRA_Sandra_Hunt_Biog.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what can I say, you go girl. What a fantastic show of strength. Plastic surgery has got way out of hand, it's all very well and good if it is needed for genuine medical reasons, but when it is for self esteem, or being used as a confidence builder then the system just may gone of track. As for having two different sized breasts, how noticeable is this to the outside world? People often have something bigger than the other, our feet, or our legs... I agree with why you went ahead with the op in the end. And in this case I have to admit I would probably have done the same.

    ReplyDelete