Thursday 22 April 2010

Drugs and Children


Another interesting documentary I saw this week- really must get on with my essays soon- was Louis Theroux Medicated Kids http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s56gx/Louis_Theroux_Americas_Medicated_Kids/ which was looking at children who are medicated because of behaviour. It was interesting because a lot of the drugs long term effects were not known. One of the parents actually compared their children to guinea pigs that were being tested on.
It seemed at first to be unjustified, and even cruel or abusive that the children were given the drugs. However the parents and some of the older children said that the difference the drugs made to the quality of their lives justified the risks of taking them.
I was left feeling uncomfortable. I think people should have a choice in most things so every parent should be able to choose for their child something that might help but the children themselves don't have a choice and I personally wouldn't give a child anything without knowing the long term effects. I also thought that the parents were taking an easy way out. They were suppressing the children instead of exploring other avenues. Louis Theroux's comments on the programme are here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2010/apr/18/louis-theroux-documentary-drugs-children

1 comment:

  1. I was reading through the blogs and this one court my eye i was intrigued about this programme, giving drugs to children when you dont no the long term effects is in some respects cruel how could parents feel comfortable doing that... I understand NOW it gives them a better quality of life but they dont no whats going to happen later!
    I agree i would also feel uncomfortable watching such a programme knowing the children should rightfully be given a choice in the decision...

    ReplyDelete